Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Eva's slippers

When Eva was born my friend Holly gave me some things for Eva to use. One was a little pair of burgundy slippers with tulips on them. They were the cutest things. Eva wore them alot. I loved them. 

When Eva died I kept every.single.thing she ever wore. They're packed in a box but they're there...waiting...for what, I do not know. However this little pair of leather slippers I gave back to Holly. They were hers and I have many things.

Some time ago I stopped in at Holly's house. I helped her kids with their coats. I was rooting around the coat closet and I saw the little slippers on the shelf. I was surprised by their presence and I softly touched them, remembering the little feet that once wore them. I mentioned them to Holly later and she told me her sister (who recently had a baby girl) had asked to borrow them. She told her sister 'no, those are Eva's slippers'.

There are no words to describe how special it is to me that Holly keeps those slippers on the shelf, that Holly loves Eva. There are no words to say how much it means to me that I don't need to remind Holly to remember Eva. Holly knows the special dates and moments without me having to fill in the blanks. I am so grateful to have a friend like Holly who has seen me through my darkest moments.



Eva's slippers

7 comments:

  1. Those little shoes are so precious and your friend HolLy is too. Friends like that are hard to come by and so appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Renel. Friends like that are hard to come by. I am so thankful to have one, actually two.

      Delete
  2. It is so important that, after our children have passed, someone still mentions their name or remembers something about them, or you see a sign of your child in their home. It touches us grieving moms, probably more than they realize.

    Yes, I am so glad that you have a couple of friends who have held your hand through this walk of grief. What a blessing!

    With Hope,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think of Holly and Carolyn and me as 3 points on a triangle. They have held me up through so much. Funny though, they have never met and they only live about 10 miles from each other. Must change that!

      Delete
  3. As Renel has already said, what beautiful slippers and what a beautiful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so precious. And what a sweet friend. We all deserve thoughtful, loving people like that in our lives.

    We still have the clothes gifted to Molly, folded and tucked away in a bag and kept in the room that was supposed to be her nursery. I don't know what to do with them. I haven't even been able to pull them out and look at them yet.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so sweet. I'm so glad your friend keeps Eva close to her, and wants to be reminded of your daughter. That she clearly misses her too.

    I can almost feel how soft these slippers are.

    sending love <3

    ReplyDelete